Sunday, July 20, 2008

on change ...

Ok ... first about today. For whatever reason I'm feeling energized about constantly turning it up half a degree every single time. Today was Max VO2 and it went amazingly well. I think there is something psychological about the short bursts of intensity here (followed by an all too brief chance to 'recover').

Anyway ... 15/15 with the 16kg (7 reps), alternating between hands. Went for 25 minutes. Rest periods spent with the kb locked out overhead, rather than on the ground.

Need to figure out what to push next ... the time, or the reps (or both). And whether to keep it locked out overhead, or go back to true rest periods.

--

Jordan asked the other day how I'm feeling about my progress.

I can't believe it has been a year. When we started in the park the lightest kb he had was the 16kg. For the first few weeks, while he got set up, we continued with the 16kg and I just assumed things were supposed to be that hard. Ha ha. Anyway, eventually the 12kg arrived and we went back to that to fix up my form and get some stability under my belt. We didn't stay there for long. I'm constantly adjusting, but there is still a part of me that feels this surge picking up the 20 or 24 and using it on a regular basis. I can still remember when 10 two-handed swings with the 16 were heavy work sets. Now, we regularly warm up with 3x1-min sets on the 20.

This will sound ridiculous, but I've always been a fast mover. I have two speeds: 'stationary' and 'hyper'. I could wax poetic about the fact that I have something actually resembling forearms and a chest now ... but the thing that has made the most difference is the physical state of being truly athletic.

I can take the stairs out of the MUNI underground two at a time, get to the top, and just keep on trucking without missing a beat. I can float around at work with a monitor, or half a case of paper in hand, and not be remotely taxed by the experience.

In fact ... I chart my progress by considering the increase in quality and quantity of life that I've been able to experience over the past year. I get more done in a day, I enjoy it more, and when it's over, I'm less tired and ready to do it all over again.

Saying 'thank you' here sounds completely inadequate. Because what I am really saying is 'thank you for radically improving my life'. And thank you doesn't do that transformation justice. I am one small measure of proof that anyone can do this. No matter how uncoordinated, or out of shape.

Show up: day after day, week after week.
Put in the work: one swing or snatch after another.
Bottom line: change for the better.

No comments: